The smoky-sweet taste of saffron gives this soup delicious flavor. It's an expensive spice, though, so use it in paella and bouillabaisse, too.
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 14 1/2 oz canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked Israeli couscous, cooked
Coat a medium nonstick pot with cooking spray. Add onion, red pepper and garlic; sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides, about 4 minutes.
Stir in saffron, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in diced tomatoes, broth and cooked couscous. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.