Minestrone with Kale
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium uncooked zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 10 medium uncooked baby carrots, halved widthwise if large
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 cup(s) uncooked kale, coarsely chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 15 oz canned great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup(s) cooked orzo
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add zucchini, carrots and onion; sauté over high heat until onion is transparent, about 7 minutes. Add kale; sauté until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth and beans. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cooked orzo, salt and pepper.
- To serve, pour into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 cup of soup and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheese per serving.
- This recipe is part of our Cook Once, Eat all Week: Soups, Chilies and Stews series. To learn more about this cook-and-freeze feature, click here.
Flavor Booster: Stir 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh basil and the grated zest of 1 lemon into the soup; simmer for 5 minutes before serving.