- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium uncooked zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 10 medium uncooked baby carrots, halved widthwise if large
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 cup(s) uncooked kale, coarsely chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 4 cup(s) fat free vegetable broth
- 15 oz canned great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup(s) cooked orzo
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
Heat oil in a large pot. Add zucchini, carrots and onion; sauté over high heat until onion is transparent, about 7 minutes. Add kale; sauté until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, broth and beans. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cooked orzo, salt and pepper.
To serve, pour into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 cup of soup and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheese per serving.
This recipe is part of our Cook Once, Eat all Week: Soups, Chilies and Stews series. To learn more about this cook-and-freeze feature, click here.
- Flavor Booster: Stir 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh basil and the grated zest of 1 lemon into the soup; simmer for 5 minutes before serving.