Middle Eastern chickpea salad
olive oil cooking spray
whole wheat pita(s)
1 large, split open
¾ tsp, divided
½ tsp, divided
fresh lemon juice
1½ Tbsp, extra-virgin
¼ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
chickpeas (15 oz)
2 cup(s), rinsed and drained
fresh cherry tomato(es)
2 cup(s), halved or quartered, yellow and/or red
⅓ medium, cut lengthwise, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
uncooked red onion(s)
¼ cup(s), sliced, diced
½ cup(s), fresh, coarsely chopped
6 cup(s), shredded, cut into thick shreds
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or coat with cooking spray.
- Coat both sides of split pita with cooking spray; place rough side up on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and cumin. Bake until crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, water, oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin and pepper.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Let stand tossing occasionally, at least 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
- To serve, line each of four plates with 1 1/2 cups lettuce. Top each with a slightly heaping 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture. Break 1/2 of each pita into small pieces over each salad. Drizzle any dressing left in bottom of bowl evenly over salads. Serve. Yields 1 salad per serving.