Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
- Total Time
Like a burrito in a bowl, this dish is great for parties. Serve a big salad on the side.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
long grain cooked brown rice4 cup(s)
fat free salsa1 ¼ cup(s)
ground cumin1 tsp
canned refried beans15 oz
frozen corn kernels10 oz, thawed
canned green chili peppers4 oz, mild, diced
chili powder1 Tbsp
chopped frozen spinach10 oz, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese¾ cup(s), divided
cilantro2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 Tbsp cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- Serving size: 1 piece