- 5 thigh uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
- 7 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium uncooked carrot(s), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup(s) uncooked jicama, peeled and diced
- 3 sprig(s) cilantro, fresh
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and finely chopped (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
- 3 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, thawed, or fresh
- 1 medium fresh tomato(es), chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 4 medium uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced
- 20 item(s) baked low fat tortilla chips
- 1 medium fresh lime(s), cut into 6 wedges
Put the chicken, broth, carrots, jicama, cilantro sprigs, garlic, and jalapeño pepper in a 5–6-quart slow cooker; cover and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 4–5 hours on high or 8–10 hours on low.
Lift the chicken from the soup and set aside until cool enough to handle. Discard the cilantro sprigs. Pull the chicken from the bones, then tear or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
Meanwhile, add the corn and tomato to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high until heated through, about 20 minutes. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and add the chopped cilantro; cook on high until heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve each bowl of soup sprinkled with a few scallion slices and a few tortilla chips, with a lime wedge on the side. Yields generous 2 cups soup with 1/4 cup chips per serving.
- You can quickly thaw frozen corn by putting it in a colander under cold running water for a minute. A squeeze of fresh lime juice at the table adds a nice zing to this soup. We recommend using paper towels to help get a good grip when pulling the skin from raw chicken.