Stuffed peppers with quinoa & chickpeas
1 small, chopped
1 clove(s), medium, finely chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, Italian-style
1 cup(s), red variety, rinsed well
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
4 item(s), medium, red variety
Canned drained chickpeas
1 cup(s), rinsed and drained
10 medium, pitted, Kalamata variety, chopped
Store-bought pesto sauce
Reduced-fat feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, quinoa, salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the ribs and seeds. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each pepper so it sits flat. Stir the chickpeas, olives, and pesto into the quinoa. Spoon 1 cup of the quinoa mixture into each pepper. Transfer the peppers to the prepared dish.
- Bake the peppers for 25 minutes. Top with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper