Meatballs in Cinnamon-Tomato Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 14 1/2 oz plum tomato(es), canned, broken up
- 1 average cinnamon stick(s)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1/3 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 cup(s) cooked orzo, hot
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer half of the onion mixture to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Transfer the remaining onion mixture to a 5–6-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, oregano, sugar, and pepper; stir well.
- To the onion mixture in the bowl, add the turkey, bread crumbs, egg, and salt; mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs; place on top of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Carefully spoon some of the tomato mixture over the meatballs. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low. Discard the cinnamon stick. Serve the meatballs and sauce with the orzo. Yields 6 meatballs, about 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup orzo per serving.
Instead of the orzo, you can serve this with couscous, spaghetti, or rice if you prefer. Avoid lifting the lid of the slow cooker while the food is cooking. This slows down the cooking process.