- 2 medium uncooked eggplant(s), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tsp table salt, or more to taste, divided
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), finely chopped
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup(s) table wine, red
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white(s), beaten
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place eggplant slices in a colander; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let stand 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; sauté eggplant until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
In same skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is brown and onion is tender, about 4 minutes; drain off fat. Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, wine, parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, oregano and cinnamon; simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir 1/4 cup of beef mixture into egg white; return to skillet, mix well. Cook 1 minute.
Pour remaining 1/2 cup of tomato sauce into bottom of 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Place 1/2 of eggplant slices on top of sauce, then spoon on beef mixture; top with remaining eggplant slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.
This recipe is part of our Cook Once, Eat All Week series. To learn more about this month's theme: make ahead pasta bakes and casseroles, click here.