- 28 oz canned tomatoes, whole, plum
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped
- Pulse the tomatoes in a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped; set aside.
- Heat a medium soup pot or Dutch oven. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and sauté until just fragrant, 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour. Stir in the basil during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Yields 1/2 cup per serving.
This recipe is quick and versatile — and can be easily doubled if you’d like to keep some extra in the freezer.