Linguine and meatballs with zucchini
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, chopped
3 medium clove(s), minced
Uncooked extra lean ground turkey breast
¾ pound(s), skinless
Dried plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
¼ tsp, freshly ground
Canned stewed tomatoes
14½ oz, 1 can, or canned Italian stewed tomatoes
1 fl oz
1 medium, diced
1 tsp, or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 minutes. Transfer half of the onion mixture to a large bowl. Set aside the remaining onion mixture in the Dutch oven.
- To the onion mixture in the bowl, add the turkey, bread crumbs, egg, and pepper; mix well. Shape into 20 meatballs. Place the meatballs on the baking pan and bake until lightly browned and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer 10 of the meatballs to a plate to cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, or wrap and freeze for up to 2 months, for later use.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, wine, and zucchini to the onion mixture in the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture thickens slightly and the zucchini softens, about 20 minutes. Add the remaining 10 meatballs to the sauce and heat through. Stir in the basil.
- Cook the linguine according to package directions; drain. Serve the meatballs and the sauce over the linguine. Yields 5 meatballs, 1 cup sauce, and 3/4 cup linguine per serving.