Roasted chicken with artichokes and potatoes
Raw skinless boneless light and dark meat chicken
1¾ pound(s), 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken
2 medium clove(s), minced
2 tsp, minced
3 tsp, grated
Uncooked baby potatoes
1½ pound(s), or fingerling, halved or quartered if large
Fresh lemon juice
1 pound(s), baby variety
Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove and discard giblets and any large pieces of fat from chicken. If desired, fold wing tips under first joint and tie legs together with kitchen string. Loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by easing fingers under skin and gently separating skin from meat.
- Combine garlic, thyme, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper in small bowl. Rub half of mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and legs of chicken. Place chicken in large roasting pan.
- Combine potatoes and remaining garlic mixture in medium bowl and toss to coat. Arrange potatoes around chicken.
- Combine 1/2 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in large bowl. Pull tough outer leaves from artichokes and trim stems. Cut off about 1/2 inch off top of each artichoke. Cut each artichoke lengthwise in half and dip into lemon water to prevent browning. Place artichoke halves around chicken and drizzle with remaining lemon water. Spray vegetables with olive oil nonstick spray..
- Roast chicken and vegetables, stirring vegetables twice and adding 1/4 cup of water each time, until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh (not touching bone) registers 165°F, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large bowl when tender, after about 1 hour. Add remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon zest, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to vegetables and toss to coat. Cover to keep warm.
- Place chicken on platter. Cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Carve chicken and divide chicken and vegetables evenly among 6 plates. Remove chicken skin before eating.
- Per serving: 1/6 of chicken, 4 artichoke halves, and 3/4 cup potatoes