Lamb tagine with lemon and olives
Uncooked lean and trimmed lamb leg(s)
8 oz, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
Castelvetrano whole olives
1 oz, (2 tablespoons), pitted, sliced
¼ tsp, or to taste
1 small, chopped
1 large clove(s), minced
Canned chicken broth
Canned tomato paste
1 medium, cut into 1-inch chunks
Uncooked butternut squash
½ pound(s), peeled and seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small, cored and chopped
Frozen green peas
Fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp, chopped
- Sprinkle lamb with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in medium heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and tomato paste until blended; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Combine carrot and onion mixture in 2-quart slow cooker. Top with lamb, squash, and chopped tomato. Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour in remaining 3/4 cup broth. Cover and cook until lamb and vegetables are fork-tender, 3-4 hours on High or 6–8 hours on Low.
- About 15 minutes before cooking time is up, stir in peas, olives, and lemon juice. Spoon stew evenly into 2 large shallow bowls. Sprinkle with almonds. With fingers, crush mint and sprinkle over stew.
- Per serving: 1 1/2 cups stew and 1 tablespoon almonds