Lamb-ricotta meatballs and sauce
Part-skim ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp, chopped flat-leaf
1 Tbsp, chopped plus small leaves
Red pepper flakes
Raw lean ground lamb
1 medium, chopped
2 medium clove(s), minced
Canned crushed tomatoes
28 oz, (1 can), preferably San Marzano
Olive oil cooking spray
- Line large rimmed baking sheet or broiler rack with foil and spray with olive oil nonstick spray. Preheat broiler.
- Beat egg in large bowl. Stir in ricotta, bread crumbs, parsley, chopped oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper. Add lamb and stir until mixed well but not overmixed. With damp hands, form 30 meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Broil 5 inches from heat, turning, until meatballs are firm, about 5 minutes. Transfer to 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoesand remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Transfer tomato mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 to 5 hours on Low. Serve sprinkled with oregano leaves.
- Per serving: 3 meatballs and about 1/4 cup sauce