Lamb and fennel meatballs in tomato sauce
Uncooked ground lamb
2 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 small, finely chopped
1 medium clove(s), minced
Canned tomato sauce
26½ oz, 1 (26.46-ounce) carton), with basil
Diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
14½ oz, (1 can)
½ cup(s), fresh, thinly sliced
- Stir together lamb, eggs, onion, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in medium bowl until mixed well. With damp hands, shape into 24 meatballs.
- Combine tomato sauce and diced tomatoes in 3- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Spread flour on sheet of wax paper; coat meatballs with flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs in two batches, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, transferring meatballs to paper towel–lined plate to drain. Add meatballs to slow cooker, spooning sauce over.
- Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 hours on Low. Divide meatballs and sauce evenly among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with basil.
- Per serving: 3/4 cup meatballs with sauce