Italian Turkey Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Total Time
Spicy sausage, red wine and fire-roasted tomatoes come together in this ragout-like sauce. Truly hearty and satisfying.
uncooked turkey sausage(s)½ pound(s), Italian-style, casings removed
olive oil2 tsp, extra-virgin
yellow pepper(s)2 medium, cut into 2-inch long thin strips
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, thinly sliced
red wine4 fl oz, (1/2 cup)
minced garlic1 ½ Tbsp
canned crushed tomatoes28 oz, fire-roasted recommended
crushed red pepper flakes½ tsp, or less to taste
table salt¼ tsp
uncooked whole wheat pasta8 oz, fusilli
basil⅓ cup(s), fresh, chopped
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 c