Italian turkey and pasta casserole
½ pound(s), mezze, rotelle, or other small short pasta
Uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
3 medium clove(s)
Canned tomato sauce
¼ tsp, freshly ground
Part-skim ricotta cheese
⅓ cup(s), chopped, plus additional for garnish
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Spray flameproof 1½-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving ¼ cup pasta cooking water. Transfer to large bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking apart with wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook until mixture comes to boil.
- Add ricotta, ⅓ cup basil, pecorino, reserved pasta cooking water, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to pasta and stir to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top evenly with turkey mixture. Arrange mozzarella on top of casserole.
- Broil 5 inches from heat until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with additional basil for garnish.
- Serving size: ⅛ of casserole