This hearty adaptation of a traditional Italian bread salad uses a dressing made creamy with soft tofu.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
- 4 slice(s) white bread, crusty or Italian bread
- 2 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 4 medium fresh tomato(es), very ripe, chopped
- 2 cup(s) arugula, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup(s) regular soft tofu
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, chopped
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
Prepare coals for grill.
Spray chicken breasts and bread with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Grill chicken on both sides until done, about 6 minutes per side. Grill bread on both sides until nicely toasted. Set chicken and bread aside to cool.
In large bowl, toss together tomatoes and arugula.
To make dressing, blend tofu, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, basil and salt in a blender until smooth.
Add dressing to tomatoes and arugula and toss.
Cut bread into cubes and toss with tomato salad. Season to taste with pepper.
Slice chicken breasts into long, thin pieces. Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with sliced chicken.
- The tofu not only enhances the texture of the dressing, but is nutrient-dense as well.