Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef flank steak
2 pound(s), cut in half crosswise
1 tsp, divided
6 large clove(s), chopped
Sweet red pepper(s)
2 medium, sliced
1 large, sliced
Unsalted beef stock
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, fire-roasted
Pimiento stuffed olives
16 olive(s), sliced
¼ cup(s), chopped
- Press Sauté on a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot. When Hot is displayed, add the oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle the steak with ½ tsp salt and black pepper. Add 1 steak piece to the pot; cook until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the steak from the pot. Repeat the process with the other steak piece; remove from the pot.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, and onion to the pot; sauté until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the beef stock, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in the cumin, oregano, bay leaves, and tomatoes. Return the steak to the pot.
- Turn the pot off. Lock the lid, making sure the vent is closed. Press Pressure Cook or Manual and select High Pressure; set the cook time for 40 minutes. When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and remove the steak from the pot. Stir the olives into the cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, shred the steak into strands; stir the shredded steak into the cooking liquid. Transfer the steak mixture to a serving bowl; garnish with the cilantro.
- Serving size: about 1 cup beef mixture