Individual beef Wellingtons
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon
1 pound(s), 4 (1⁄4-pound)
¼ tsp, freshly ground
8 oz, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 small, chopped
1 tsp, chopped
2 medium clove(s), minced
¼ cup(s), Madeira variety
4 sheet(s), thawed, if frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the filets with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the filets. Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a warmed plate.
- Return the skillet to the heat; add the mushrooms, onion, thyme, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are softened, about 6 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook until liquid evaporates, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Cover the phyllo sheets with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out as you work. Place one sheet of phyllo on a work surface, with the long side closest to you. Spray with nonstick spray and top with another phyllo sheet. Spray the second sheet with nonstick spray, then cut the stack in half vertically. Place one filet in the center of the lower third of each half. Top each filet with 1/4 cup of the mushroom mixture. Fold the short sides of the phyllo over the filets, and roll up the long end, jelly-roll style. Transfer to the baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining phyllo, filets, and mushroom mixture.
- Spray the Wellingtons with nonstick spray and bake until the crust is golden and the filets are cooked to the desired doneness, 10–12 minutes for medium. Yields 1 Wellington per serving.