- 6 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, sliced crosswise into 1⁄4-inch strips
- 3 cup(s) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, 12 ounces
- 4 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 3 large egg(s)
- 3 large egg white(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) 1% low fat cottage cheese, small-curd
- 2/3 cup(s) Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning, or ground sage
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Place the oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray a 1 1⁄2-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until nearly crisp, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Add the potatoes and scallions; continue cooking and stirring until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Beat together the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until blended. Beat in the cottage cheese, 1⁄3 cup of the cheddar cheese, the Parmesan cheese, flour, poultry seasoning or sage, baking powder, salt, and pepper until combined. Stir in the cooled potato mixture and spread evenly into the baking dish. Bake until golden and set in the center, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese. Let stand until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes, and serve hot or warm.
- The turkey bacon gives it a rich, smoky flavor without adding a lot of fat. If you find yourself with any leftovers, you can refrigerate the casserole for up to two days and reheat individual portions in the microwave.