- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 item(s) lemon(s)
- 1 pound(s) uncooked rainbow trout, use two 8-oz whole boneless trout; not fillets
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, left whole – about 8 sprigs
Off heat, coat grill with cooking spray. Prepare gas grill for direct, high-heat grilling or build a high-heat charcoal bed in the center of the coal grate on a charcoal grill.
Cut the lemon in half, lengthwise. Use a very sharp knife to cut one half into paper-thin half-moons.
Season the trout inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff 4 oregano sprigs and half the lemon slices in the body cavity of each trout.
Place the trout on the prepared grill grate, directly over the heat. Cover and grill for 8 minutes.
Squeeze some of the lemon juice from the remaining lemon half over each trout, turn them with a large spatula, squeeze more lemon juice over each trout, cover and continue grilling until the meat will flake with a fork, about 6 more minutes. Yields about 3 ounces of trout per serving.
- When you buy whole, boneless trout at the fish store, it will be cleaned and ready to stuff. Be sure to rinse the fish inside and out and pat dry before stuffing.Use a wide, metal spatula to turn the fish so it doesn't fall apart.Since you will not eat the head, tail or fins, each trout will yield two servings, about 3 ounces each.