Grilled lemon-oregano stuffed trout
Uncooked rainbow trout
1 pound(s), two 8-oz whole boneless trout; not fillets (ask fish counter at supermarket to debone fish if needed), rinsed and patted dry
- Off heat, coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill or grill pan to high, or prepare high fire in charcoal grill.
- Cut 1 lemon in half lengthwise. Using very sharp knife, cut 1 half into paper-thin half-moons. Cut the remaining whole lemon crosswise in half.
- Season fish inside and out with salt and black pepper. Stuff oregano sprigs and lemon slices inside cavity of each fish. Transfer fish to grill and arrange directly over heat. Close lid and grill for 8 minutes.
- Squeeze some juice from lengthwise-cut lemon half over each fish. Using large metal spatula, turn fish over and squeeze more juice over each. Close lid and continue to grill until fish flakes with fork, about 6 minutes more. During final 2 minutes of cooking, grill remaining lemon halves, cut-side down, until lightly charred. Squeeze charred lemon halves over fish.
- Serving size: about 3 oz trout