Grilled Trout Stuffed with Lemon and Oregano
- Total Time
Boneless, stuffed trout is terrific on the grill. The meat becomes irresistibly smoky and sweet, a great foil to lemon juice and fresh herbs.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
uncooked rainbow trout1 pound(s), use two 8-oz whole boneless trout; not fillets
table salt1 tsp, or to taste
black pepper1 tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
fresh oregano1 Tbsp, left whole – about 8 sprigs
- Off heat, coat grill with cooking spray. Prepare gas grill for direct, high-heat grilling or build a high-heat charcoal bed in the center of the coal grate on a charcoal grill.
- Cut the lemon in half, lengthwise. Use a very sharp knife to cut one half into paper-thin half-moons.
- Season the trout inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff 4 oregano sprigs and half the lemon slices in the body cavity of each trout.
- Place the trout on the prepared grill grate, directly over the heat. Cover and grill for 8 minutes.
- Squeeze some of the lemon juice from the remaining lemon half over each trout, turn them with a large spatula, squeeze more lemon juice over each trout, cover and continue grilling until the meat will flake with a fork, about 6 more minutes. Yields about 3 ounces of trout per serving.