- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked lean flank steak, trimmed of all visible fat
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, peeled and minced
- 1 average serrano chile(s)(average), seeded and coarsely chopped (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
- 3 cup(s), shredded romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 medium English cucumber(s), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), seeded and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup(s) mint leaves, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s), sliced uncooked red onion(s), thinly sliced
Spray a grill rack with canola oil nonstick spray; prepare the grill.
Lightly spray the steak with canola oil nonstick spray and sprinkle with the salt. Grill the steak 5 inches from the heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the steak registers 145°F for medium-rare, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Slice thinly on an angle across the grain.
Meanwhile, put 1/4 cup of the carrots, the soy sauce, water, lime juice, ginger, and chile in a mini–food processor; process until the carrots and chile are very finely minced. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining 1 cup carrots, the steak, lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, mint, and onion; mix well. Yields 2 cups per serving.