Grilled branzino with roasted pepper relish & fennel
Sweet red pepper(s)
3 rib(s), medium, thinly sliced
Fresh lemon juice
1 large clove(s), grated or minced
Extra virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp, divided
1¾ tsp, divided
Uncooked branzino (sea bass) fillet(s)
32 oz, or 4 whole branzino (about 1 lb each), or 8 red snapper fillets (4 oz each)
1 cup(s), coarsely chopped
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
½ item(s), very thinly sliced
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill bell peppers, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened all over, about 15 minutes. Immediately transfer peppers to large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, or place peppers in paper bag and roll top to close. Let peppers steam until cool enough to handle, 10 to 15 minutes. Rub off charred skins with your hands. Halve peppers and scrape out seeds, then coarsely chop.
- In large bowl, mix chopped peppers, celery, lemon juice, garlic, 3 tbsp oil, and 3⁄4 tsp salt. Let pepper relish marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, while fish cooks.
- Coat fish with remaining 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with black pepper and remaining 1 tsp salt. Spray 2 large pieces of heavy-duty foil with nonstick spray. Using skewer, poke a few holes in foil to allow smoke to flavor fish. Place 2 whole fish or 4 fillets on each piece of foil, skin-side up. Place fish on foil onto hot grill and cook until fish are golden brown on bottom, about 5 minutes for whole fish and 3 to 4 minutes for fillets. Flip fish and grill, skin-side down, until opaque and browned, about 5 minutes for whole fish and 2 to 3 minutes for fillets. Transfer fish to platter. Stir basil into pepper relish. Spoon relish over fish and scatter fennel over top.
- Spray 2 large pieces of foil with nonstick spray; place 4 fillets on each piece of foil, skin side up, and poke a few holes in foil using skewer. Slide foil onto hot grill; cook fillets until golden brown on bottom, 3−4 minutes. Flip fillets; cook, skin side down, until opaque and browned, 2−3 minutes. Arrange fish on platter. Stir basil into pepper relish and spoon over fish. Sprinkle with fennel. Remove skin before eating.
- Serving size: 1 fillet and 1⁄3 cup relish and fennel