- 1/2 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef
- 3/4 oz romano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cut into sixteen chunks
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), cut into sixteen 1-inch pieces
Soak eight 10-inch skewers in water to prevent them from burning on grill.
In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and milk; set aside 5 minutes. Heat grill.
In food processor, combine beef, cheese, egg whites, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Strain bread crumbs and squeeze lightly to extract excess milk. Add to beef mixture and process just until blended.
With moistened hands, shape mixture into 16 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter. Holding two skewers at a time, alternately thread 4 chunks of red pepper, 4 chunks of onion and 4 meatballs onto parallel skewers, beginning with pepper. Repeat with remaining skewers.
On lightly oiled grill, cook kebabs for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating about every 2 minutes to cook evenly. Meatballs should be just cooked through, but not overcooked.