Grilled lemon-oregano chicken with shaved fennel salad
3½ tsp, grated (plus extra for garnish)
Fresh lemon juice
6 medium clove(s), peeled, smashed
½ cup(s), loosely packed, coarsely chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
1½ tsp, or to taaste
½ tsp, or to taste
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
2 pound(s), (eight 4-oz pieces)
Olive oil cooking spray
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
2 medium, with fronds
2 medium, cut in halves or wedges (optional)
- Place 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, 2 tsp oil, salt and pepper in a large shallow glass dish or bowl. Pound chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, wax paper or parchment paper, to a uniform ½ inch thickness; add to mixture. Stir and spoon marinade over chicken; cover and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cut fennel bulbs into ¼-inch slices, leaving root end intact; coarsely chop and reserve fronds. Place fennel slices in a mixing bowl and add remaining ½ tsp zest and remaining 2 tsp oil; gently toss to coat and then season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Coat grill or grill pan with cooking spray; heat to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill chicken until lightly browned and cooked through, flipping once, 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, grill fennel until lightly charred and tender, flipping once, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve chicken with grilled fennel, sprinkled with reserved fronds and lemon wedges, if desired.
- Serving size: 3 oz chicken, 1/8 of fennel