Grilled Avocado and Flank Steak Soft Tacos
- Total Time
This amazing combination of grilled flank steak, peppers, scallions and (yes!) avocado makes a super-flavorful weeknight supper or party dish.
corn tortilla(s)12 small
kosher salt1 ½ tsp
granulated garlic1 ½ tsp
chili powder¾ tsp, chipotle variety
ground cumin¾ tsp
avocado1 item(s), medium, Hass, ripe but firm
olive oil1 ½ tsp, extra virgin, divided
sweet red pepper(s)2 large
uncooked scallion(s)12 medium, medium thickness
uncooked lean flank steak1 pound(s)
uncooked red onion(s)⅓ cup(s), minced
crumbled feta cheese½ cup(s)
cilantro½ cup(s), leaves, torn
fresh lime(s)2 medium, cut into wedges
hot sauce1 Tbsp, or to taste
- Heat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic, chili powder and cumin; set aside.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit; use a large tablespoon to gently scoop out each half. Brush cut sides of avocado with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon spice mixture.
- Core and seed red peppers; slice each into 6 rings and place in a large bowl. Trim scallions; halve widthwise and add to peppers. Drizzle vegetables with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; toss with 1 teaspoon spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture all over steak.
- Place foil packet of tortillas on top rack of grill; place steak, peppers, scallions and avocado on grill close to heat. Grill vegetables and avocado until charred, about 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove from grill and set aside. Grill steak, flipping once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, for medium rare or longer to desired degree of doneness; remove from grill and let rest a few minutes before very thinly slicing against the grain.
- To serve, cut each avocado half into 6 even pieces; mash one piece down center of each tortilla. Layer each with 1 pepper ring, 2 pieces scallion and about 1 ounce steak; garnish with onion, cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce (optional). Yields 1 taco per serving.