Grilled flank steak and avocado soft tacos
¾ tsp, chipotle variety
1 item(s), medium, Hass, ripe but firm
1½ tsp, extra virgin, divided
Sweet red pepper(s)
12 medium, trimmed
Uncooked lean flank steak
Uncooked red onion(s)
⅓ cup(s), minced, finely chopped
Crumbled feta cheese
½ cup(s), leaves, torn
2 medium, cut into wedges
1 Tbsp, optional
- Off heat, coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill or grill pan to medium-high, or prepare medium-high fire in charcoal grill.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in foil. In small bowl, combine granulated garlic, salt, chile powder, and cumin. Halve, pit, and peel avocado. Brush cut sides of avocado halves with 1⁄2 tsp oil and sprinkle with 1⁄4 tsp spice blend.
- Core and seed bell peppers. Slice each into 6 rings and transfer to large bowl. Halve scallions crosswise and add to peppers. Drizzle vegetables with remaining 1 tsp oil and toss with 1 tsp spice blend. Rub remaining spice blend all over steak.
- Transfer packet of tortillas to grill. Arrange steak, vegetables, and avocado on grill. Grill vegetables and avocado until charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Grill steak to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak very thinly against grain.
- Cut each avocado half into 6 pieces and mash 1 piece down center of each tortilla. On each tortilla, layer 1 pepper ring, 2 scallion pieces, and about 1 oz steak. Garnish with onion, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce (if using).
- Serving size: 1 taco