Eggplant and chicken casserole
Olive oil cooking spray
2 medium, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
98% fat-free uncooked ground chicken breast
1 cup(s), chopped, sliced
2 medium clove(s), minced
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
⅓ tsp, dried
½ tsp, freshly ground
Canned diced tomatoes
Canned tomato paste
Grated Parmesan cheese
6 oz, (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon of salt; let stand 20 minutes to draw out moisture.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes more. Add fresh parsley, dried herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook until herbs and spices are fragrant. about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Off heat, coat surface of same skillet with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat. Wipe salt from eggplant slices with paper towel and add eggplant to hot skillet. Cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices on bottom of prepared baking pan, slightly overlapping pieces to cover entire surface of pan. Top eggplant with chicken mixture; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Top with remaining eggplant slices and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until top is golden brown and filling is hot, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, slice into 8 pieces and serve.