Gravy chicken by Palak Palel
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
1½ pound(s), cut into bite-size pieces
Shan Nihari seasoning mix
3 Tbsp, divided
2 large, thinly sliced
Canned tomato paste
1 cup(s), chopped
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tbsp Shan Nihari and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them cook for a few seconds until they start to sputter.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very soft, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, and turmeric, and cook, stirring often, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 tbsp Shan Nihari spice mix and slowly pour in water in small additions, stirring after each addition (the sauce will thicken after each pour).
- Add reserved chicken to pot and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover pot with a tight-fitting lid, and let cook until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover pot, stir in cilantro, and serve hot.
- Serving size: about 1 cup