Six-ingredient French onion soup
SmartPoints® value per serving
Maintain the rich flavor of this classic soup by stir-frying the onions in dry sherry and adding a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
2 medium, thinly sliced
Sherry (dry or sweet)
4 Tbsp, or nonalcoholic wine
Fat-free beef broth
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large saucepan, combine onions and sherry; sauté until onions are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread in oven until golden brown.
- Place one piece of toast into each of four bowls. Divide soup among bowls and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of grated cheese.
- Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.