- 2 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp sherry (dry or sweet), or nonalcoholic wine
- 4 cup(s) canned fat-free beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slice(s) French bread
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large saucepan, combine onions and sherry; sauté until onions are tender, about 6 minutes.
Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast bread in oven until golden brown.
Place one piece of toast into each of four bowls. Divide soup among bowls and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of grated cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.