French onion soup with cheese toasts
Uncooked vidalia onion(s)
3 large, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
6 cup(s), low-sodium
4 fl oz, dry
¼ tsp, or 1 fresh sprig
¼ tsp, freshly ground
5 oz, cut into 16 rounds
Low-fat Swiss cheese
1 cup(s), shredded, part-skim, Jarlsberg cheese
Shredded parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and well softened, about 12 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the bread rounds on a baking sheet and broil 5 inches away from the heat until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place 4 rounds of bread in each of 4 ovenproof soup bowls. Add the onion soup (about 1 1⁄2 cups for each bowl). Sprinkle evenly with the Swiss cheese, then the Parmesan cheese.
- Stand the bowls on the baking sheet and broil 5 inches from the heat until the cheese melts and is light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Yields 1 bowl per serving.