4-cheese mac & cheese
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 head(s), medium, (2 lbs)
4 medium, thinly sliced
Fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup(s), (light cream cheese)
50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup(s), shredded, shredded
2 oz, (1/4 cup), shredded
Hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray shallow 2½-quart baking dish with nonstick spray. (Or use 8 small gratin dishes and decrease baking time to about 15 minutes.)
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add panko and cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl to cool. Stir in pecorino.
- Bring large saucepan of salted water to boil over medium-high heat.
- Cut 3 cups small florets from cauliflower and set aside. Cut remaining cauliflower (including stem) into 2-inch pieces.
- Add 2-inch cauliflower pieces and carrots to saucepan and cook until very tender, 10–12 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower and carrots to blender.
- Add macaroni to saucepan and cook half the time package directs, adding reserved cauliflower florets during last 1 minute of cooking time. Drain macaroni mixture and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, add broth, cream cheese, ¼ cup Cheddar, Gruyère, mustard, salt, and pepper sauce to blender with vegetables and puree. Add puree to macaroni mixture and stir to coat.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Cheddar, then with panko mixture. Bake until top is golden brown, 25–30 minutes.
- Per serving (1 cup)