Fontina and roasted eggplant pita pizza
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, sliced into thin rounds
Olive oil cooking spray
Whole wheat pita(s)
2 large, split in half crosswise
Canned tomato sauce
½ cup(s), shredded, grated
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat a sheet pan with olive oil cooking spray and spread onions on it; set aside.
- Prick eggplant all over with a fork. Coat garlic bulb with cooking spray; wrap in foil. Roast eggplant (unwrapped) and garlic (wrapped in foil) until very soft, about 45 minutes. Add onion to oven for last 20 minutes of roasting. Remove vegetables from oven and reduce temperature to 400ºF.
- Peel and mash eggplant; set aside. Squeeze garlic from its skin; set aside.
- Set pita rounds on a baking sheet; spread each with some garlic. Top with tomato sauce, eggplant, fontina and onions.
- Bake until crisp on edges, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot. Yields half a pita per serving.