Filets mignons with cranberry-orange sauce
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon
½ tsp, freshly ground
1 small, or 1⁄2 small red onion, minced
1 medium clove(s), minced
Unsweetened orange juice
2 fl oz, or beef broth
- Pat the filets dry with paper towels; sprinkle both sides with the pepper and salt. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the filets and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Add the filets and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn and cook until the center is slightly less done than you'd like, 2 – 3 minutes for medium rare (the meat will continue to cook when you take it off the heat).
- Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet. Add the shallot and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 – 3 minutes. Add the orange juice, wine, and cranberries; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 2 – 3 minutes. Return the filets to the pan and cook, swirling to coat them with the sauce. Serve at once.