Fennel-spiced roast turkey with mushroom gravy
Whole turkey, light and dark meat, no skin, raw
7¼ pound(s), 1 (10-12 pound) whole turkey
1 Tbsp, chopped
3 medium clove(s), minced
Canned chicken broth
Fresh shiitake mushroom
½ pound(s), stems discarded, caps sliced
- 1 Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place rack in large roasting pan and spray with nonstick spray. Remove neck and giblets from cavity of turkey and discard (or save for another use).
- 2 Pulse fennel seeds, thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, and salt in mini– food processor or spice grinder until paste forms. With your fingers, loosen skin on turkey breast. Rub fennel mixture evenly on meat under skin; press skin back into place. Tuck wings under turkey and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place turkey, breast side up, on prepared rack in roasting pan. Pour 1 cup broth into bottom of pan; roast turkey 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, about 21/2 hours longer (cover turkey loosely with foil if it begins to get too brown). Transfer turkey to cutting board. Cover loosely with foil and let stand 20 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, to make gravy, pour drippings and juices from roasting pan into large measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes; skim off fat and discard. Set aside.
- 4 Set roasting pan over 2 burners over medium-high heat. Add sherry to pan and bring to boil, stirring with wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups broth to pan and return to boil. Strain mixture through fine wire-mesh strainer into measuring cup with drippings. Discard solids.
- 5 Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add sherry mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until gravy bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- 6 Remove skin and carve into 24 slices. Serve turkey with gravy.
- Serving size: 2 slices turkey and 3 tablespoons gravy