Enlightened German Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked new potato(es), red, medium-size
- 2 1/2 oz uncooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium uncooked Spanish onion(s), or Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil potatoes and enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings from pan.
- Add onion to drippings in pan and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper; bring to simmer. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a large bowl; drizzle with dressing and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and serve warm. Yields about 1 cup per serving.