Uncooked bone in skinless chicken thigh(s)
36 oz, (2 1/4 pounds, about 8 thighs)
2½ pound(s), husked, rinsed, and quartered
1 medium, seeded and chopped
1 medium, finely chopped
2 medium clove(s), minced
Reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup(s), or shredded Oaxaca cheese
Light sour cream
⅓ cup(s), chopped
- Place chicken in Dutch oven and add just enough cold lightly salted water to cover; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Shred chicken into long, thin strips; discard bones.
- Meanwhile, pulse tomatillos, jalapeño, sugar, salt, and pepper in food processor until tomatillos are coarsely chopped.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatillo mixture and bring to boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup shredded chicken, 1/2 tablespoon Monterey Jack, and 1 tablespoon sour cream and roll up jelly-roll style. Place enchiladas, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Pour tomatillo mixture over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover tightly with nonstick foil. Bake until bubbly and cheese melts, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
- Serving size: 1 enchilada