Eggplant rollatini with tomato-basil sauce
2 medium, tops and bottoms removed, sliced lengthwise into four 1/4-inch-thick long slices each
2 large clove(s), sliced (about 2 Tbsp)
Canned crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp, fresh, torn
1 small, diced
1 large clove(s), chopped (about 1 Tbsp)
Part-skim ricotta cheese
½ cup(s), fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp, divided
1 large egg(s)
¼ tsp, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay eggplant in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat tops with cooking spray. Bake, flipping once, until golden brown, about 10 minutes per side. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make sauce, place oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic; sauté until it begins to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes; stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Add torn basil, stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover, remove from heat and set aside.
- To make filling, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and zucchini; sauté until onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped garlic and cook 1 minute more; spoon onion mixture into a small bowl to cool. In another small bowl, combine ricotta, parsley, chopped basil, and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan; stir to combine. Add cooled onion mixture; stir to combine. Add egg, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- To make rollatini, reduce oven to 400ºF. Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce in bottom of an 8- X 8-inch glass or nonstick metal baking dish and swirl to coat bottom with sauce. On a clean cutting board, place 1 slice of eggplant. Place 2 tablespoons of filling at the narrow end of eggplant and roll up; place in prepared baking dish, seam side-down. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices; arrange in a single layer in dish. Spoon remaining 1/2 cup of sauce and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan over eggplant. Bake until sauce bubbles, about 10 to 15 minutes. Yields 2 pieces of rollatini per serving.