Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
- 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped (about 5 scallions)
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup(s) fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/2 pound(s) roasted skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup(s) canned pimento(s), drained and sliced (about a 2 oz jar)
- 2 Tbsp sherry cooking wine
- 3 1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds and cooked
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add scallions and mushrooms; cook until tender, stirring, about 5 minutes. Combine flour, garlic powder, pepper, broth and milk in a small bowl; mix until well blended. Add flour mixture to saucepan; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, pimentos and sherry; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese and add cooked spaghetti; toss gently. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Flavor Booster: Porcini mushrooms, prized in Italian cooking, will add a woodsy taste and meaty texture to this dish. Although fresh are rare, you’ll find dried porcini in gourmet and natural food supermarkets. Measure a half cup into a heat-proof bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and use in place of the button mushrooms.