Devil's Food Cookies
- Total Time
These cake-like cookies are great dunked into coffee, milk or tea. Or create a creamed-filled sandwich with some aerosol whipped cream.*
cooking spray4 spray(s)
all-purpose flour2 cup(s)
baking soda1 tsp
table salt¼ tsp
cooked lentils¾ cup(s), drained and rinsed
egg(s)2 large, separated
bittersweet chocolate3 ½ oz, melted
unsalted butter½ stick(s), softened
vanilla extract2 tsp
low-fat buttermilk½ cup(s)
powdered sugar1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two large cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree lentils with egg yolks until smooth; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. With mixer running on low speed, add melted chocolate; combine thoroughly. Add pureed lentils; mix well.
- Alternating in batches, add flour mixture and buttermilk to batter, mixing after each addition (dough will be sticky).
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of batter onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1-inch between cookies; bake until puffed and set, about 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets for about 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Yields 1 cookie per serving.