Curried Quinoa with Chickpeas and Almonds
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened orange juice
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 5 oz chickpeas (15 oz), (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup(s) golden seedless raisins
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), chopped
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp orange zest, grated
- Combine the quinoa, orange juice, water, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the cumin, and allspice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, 12–15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and peas and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and almonds; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes longer. Remove the skillet from the heat, then stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the raisins, scallions, cilantro, and orange zest; toss well. Stir in the chickpea mixture and serve at once or let the mixture cool to room temperature before serving. Yields 1 1/3 cup per serving.
Quinoa can be found in most health-food stores and some supermarkets. It is important to rinse quinoa under cold running water before cooking in order to remove its natural bitter coating.