Cuban chicken sandwiches
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 cup(s), sliced, thinly slivered, rinsed under cold running water
Whole wheat sandwich thin(s)
Fresh lime juice
6 Tbsp, divided
3 Tbsp, fresh, coarsely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
¾ tsp, divided, or to taste
2 tsp, extra virgin
Hot pepper sauce
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
1 pound(s), thin cutlets
- In a medium bowl, combine onions, 1/4 cup lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to mix. Let stand, tossing occasionally, until slightly wilted, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oil, hot sauce, cumin, oregano and garlic. Add chicken to bowl and turn to coat; let stand 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken (discard marinade) and cook, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and thinly slice.
- To make sandwiches, layer 1/4 of sliced chicken and then 1/4 of pickled onions on each roll bottom. Drizzle with any juices in bottom of bowl and then sprinkle with cilantro (optional); cover with roll tops. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.