Crispy turkey empanadas with spicy chimichurri sauce
1 cup(s), fresh, leaves
3 medium, chopped
2 medium, chopped
1 large, chopped
Fresh lime juice
Uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
12 large, green variety, pitted, finely chopped
2 medium clove(s), minced
Canned tomato sauce
Goya Discos para empanada dough
10 item(s), or similar empanada dough product
1 item(s), large, beaten
- To prepare sauce, combine the first eight ingredients (cilantro through black pepper) in a food processor or blender; pulse until a lightly chunky puree forms (may be made up to one day before serving).
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-low heat. Add turkey, onion, and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and turkey is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add olives, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, and pepper; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce; simmer so flavors blend, 1-2 minutes. Let mixture cool (may be made up to 2 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator).
- When ready to cook empanadas, preheat air fryer (or oven) to 375°F. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the air fryer basket (but don’t add it to fryer until adding the empanadas).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place defrosted dough, one disk at a time, on prepared pan. Spoon 1/3 cup turkey mixture into center of each disk; fold disks over to form half moons. Press down on edges to seal; create marks on edges by pressing down lightly with the tines of a fork (or fold and roll edges in a more traditional empanada style).
- Brush both sides of empanadas with egg. Cook empanadas in batches, in a single layer, in the parchment-lined air fryer for 7-8 minutes; flip and air fry until crispy and browned, another 5-6 minutes. (Or bake in oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet until well-browned and crispy, about 15-20 minutes.)
- Serving size: 1 empanada plus 2 Tbsp sauce