Creole shrimp & grits
Uncooked stone ground grits
1 cup(s), (not quick-cooking)
2 oz, or other spicy sausage, cut into ¼-inch pieces
½ cup(s), chopped, chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
¼ cup(s), green, chopped
¼ cup(s), chopped
2 clove(s), 2 tsp finely chopped
½ tsp, divided, or more to taste
1 tsp, or make your own by searching for the recipe in the WW app
1 cup(s), or chicken broth
½ cup(s), chopped
¾ tsp, coarsely ground, or more to taste, divided
2 splash(es), Few dashes
½ pound(s), peeled and deveined
Grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh lemon juice
1 tsp, to taste
1 Tbsp, finely chopped, for garnish
- In medium pot, bring 4 cups water and bay leaf to simmer over medium heat. Slowly pour in grits, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, whisking occasionally to prevent clumping, until grits are thick and creamy but not stiff, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat large cast-iron skillet over medium-low. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it starts to smell toasty and turns light peanut-butter brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
- Coat same skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium-low. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until fat renders, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add Creole Seasoning and toasted flour and stir for just a few seconds to coat sausage and vegetables. Add broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire, 1⁄4 tsp black pepper, hot sauce, and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Increase heat to medium and boil until sauce is slightly thickened and glossy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until pink and slightly curled, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove grits from heat. Stir in cheese, lemon juice, and 1⁄2 tsp black pepper. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve shrimp and sauce over bowls of grits. Garnish with parsley.
- Serving size: 2 oz shrimp and 1 cup grits