Warm up with our hearty sweet potato soup as the temperature starts to drop. Toast the pecans to help maximize their flavor.
- 2 large uncooked sweet potato(es)
- 2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool, remove and discard skin; chop potatoes.
Combine sweet potatoes and 3/4 cup of broth in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set potato mixture aside.
Melt margarine in a medium-size saucepan; stir in flour and ginger, and then add milk. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Cook 1 minute more and then stir in sweet potato mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cups of broth. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Pour into 4 serving bowls and sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon of pecans. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- For an extra flavor boost, consider adding a dash of curry powder with the flour and ginger.