- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), white, chopped
- 1 head(s), medium uncooked cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp white pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 6 gm fresh parsley, 6 chervil or flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the vegetables can be easily mashed, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree. Pour the puree back into the saucepan. Over low heat stir in the evaporated milk, nutmeg, pepper, and salt; heat to serving temperature, about 1 minute. Serve, garnished with a chervil or parsley leaf.
- When selecting, cauliflower should have creamy white, compact florets with firmly attached bright green leaves.