4 tsp, divided
1 medium, minced
Dried plain breadcrumbs
⅔ cup(s), panko-variety
2 large egg(s), beaten
Sherry (dry or sweet)
Reduced calorie mayonnaise
¼ cup(s), fresh, minced (or a mix of parsley and dill)
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in skillet. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion turns translucent and start to caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in panko; cook, stirring frequently, until toasted, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place crabmeat in a large bowl. Add onion mixture, eggs, sherry, salt and mustard; mix well. Add mayonnaise and parsley; mix well again.
- Working with wet hands, form eight 3-inch crab cakes, about 3/4-inch thick; place on a metal baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to help crab cakes stick together while cooking.
- Coat a very large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. When skillet is heated, melt 2/3 teaspoon butter. Place a batch of crab cakes in skillet in a single layer and cook until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side; remove to a serving plate and cover to keep warm (or place in a 200°F oven to keep warm). Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Yields 1 crab cake per serving.