Corn and Black Bean Chiles Rellenos
4 large, peppers
Canned stewed tomatoes
14½ oz, (1 can)
3 medium, chopped
Frozen corn kernels
1 cup(s), thawed
Canned black beans
1 cup(s), rinsed and drained
Cooked long grain brown rice
1¾ cup(s), 1 (8.8-oz package)
Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tsp, chopped
⅓ cup(s), fresh, chopped
Reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
½ medium, cut into 4 wedges
- To roast poblanos, preheat boiler. Line medium rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place peppers on foil. Broil 5 inches from heat, turning often, until skins are blistered and blackened in spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers (still on foil) to work surface and wrap in foil. Let peppers steam about 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel blackened skin off peppers. Use sharp knife to make long slit in one side of each pepper. Remove seeds and membranes, being careful not to tear peppers.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray same baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- To make filling, puree tomatoes, scallions, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and salt in blender or food processor. Transfer to large skillet and set over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn, beans, rice, and chipotles. Cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and ½ cup cheese.
- Spoon filling evenly into peppers and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle peppers with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
- Per serving (1 stuffed pepper)