Coffee-chili rubbed tofu with peppers and onions
Extra firm tofu
14 oz, water-packed, drained
Espresso, instant powder
Unpacked brown sugar
Sweet red pepper(s)
2 medium, or red or orange peppers, seeded and cut into rings
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
Fresh lime juice
- Slice tofu widthwise into 8 even slices, approximately 1/2-inch-thick each. Lay a double layer of paper towels on a flat surface; place tofu on top in an even layer to dry. Place a double layer of paper towels on top and gently press to remove additional moisture.
- Stir together chili powder, espresso powder, salt, sugar, dry mustard, coriander, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and cayenne in a small bowl; season both sides of tofu with half of spice mixture.
- Place pepper rings and onion slices in a large bowl; coat lightly with nonstick spray and toss with remaining spice mixture.
- Off heat, coat a grill pan with nonstick spray. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill tofu and vegetables in batches, flipping once, until tofu is well marked and peppers and onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve tofu and vegetables with a squirt of lime juice.
- Serving size: 3 oz steak, ½ cup vegetables