Chicks in Blankets
SmartPoints® value per serving
Here’s a much lighter but still very tasty spin on traditional pigs in the blanket. Because this recipe makes such a large yield, it’s an excellent finger food to serve at a brunch or causal gathering. We’ve used a chicken and apple sausage which pairs well with grainy mustard if you’d like to use it a dipping sauce. For best results, thaw the frozen phyllo dough in the refrigerator the night before—they’ll be much easier to work with when wrapping the sausage links. For variation, try a different flavored smoke sausage such as mango or habanero green chile for a super spicy alternative.
8 sheet(s), (13- X 18-in each)
Chicken apple sausage
8 link(s), (3 oz each)
Weight Watchers Reduced-fat Mexican style shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo on a clean work surface with the long side towards you (keep the rest covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth to keep from drying out); coat entire surface lightly with cooking spray. Fold sheet into thirds (like a letter); coat exposed surface lightly with cooking spray.
- Place 1 link sausage at bottom end of phyllo; roll tightly. Trim excess dough; cut into 4 pieces. Transfer to prepared pan, seam-side down; repeat with remaining phyllo and sausages.
- Bake until phyllo is golden brown, flipping once halfway through, 15 minutes. Turn each chick in blanket on its side; sprinkle a few pieces cheese over each and bake until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- Serving size: 1 chick in a blanket