This Mediterranean-influenced pasta salad gets its crunch from raw diced fennel. Try it with garlic-grilled chicken skewers at your next BBQ.
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked orzo
- 1/4 tsp table salt, for cooking orzo
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard, grainy variety
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 15 oz chickpeas (15 oz), rinsed and drained
- 4 medium plum tomato(es), seeded, chopped
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb(s), trimmed, diced (reserve 1/2 cup fennel fronds)
- 12 oz roasted red peppers (packed in water), rinsed, drained, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp uncooked shallot(s), minced
Cook orzo in salted boiling water until al dente, about 9 minutes; drain and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, oregano, mustard, kosher salt, garlic and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine orzo with chickpeas, tomatoes, fennel, roasted peppers, feta and shallot; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds, if desired. Yields about 1 cup per serving.